Caravanning enthusiasts know that the joy of exploring the great outdoors goes hand in hand with delicious meals cooked over an open flame. One such culinary adventure is the Campfire Chicken Curry—a hearty and flavorful dish that’s perfect for enjoying in the midst of nature. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps of making this mouthwatering curry using camping utensils and equipment suitable for your caravanning adventures.
- 500g boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (400g)
- 1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- Campfire or portable camping stove
- Large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven with lid
- Cooking utensils: wooden spoon, spatula
- Knife and cutting board
- Can opener
- Aluminum foil
- Plates and cutlery for serving
1. Prepare the Campfire:
- Set up your campfire or portable camping stove in a safe and designated cooking area. Make sure you have enough wood or fuel to sustain the fire throughout the cooking process.
2. Heat the Skillet:
- Place your cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven on the campfire grate or portable stove. Add the vegetable oil and let it heat up.
3. Sauté the Aromatics:
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger to the hot skillet. Sauté them until they become fragrant and the onion turns translucent.
4. Add Chicken Cubes:
- Toss in the cubed chicken pieces and cook until they turn white on all sides, stirring occasionally.
5. Incorporate the Curry Powder:
- Sprinkle the curry powder over the chicken and stir well to coat the meat evenly. Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes to release the spices’ flavors.
6. Add Vegetables:
- Mix in the diced red bell pepper and cook for a few more minutes until it starts to soften.
7. Combine Tomatoes and Coconut Milk:
- Open the cans of diced tomatoes and coconut milk using your can opener. Pour them into the skillet, stirring to combine all the ingredients.
8. Simmer and Cook:
- Cover the skillet or Dutch oven with its lid, or improvise by using aluminum foil to create a makeshift lid. Let the curry simmer over the campfire for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, and the sauce has thickened.
9. Season and Garnish:
- Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper according to your preference. If you like it spicier, you can add a pinch of chili flakes or some hot sauce. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves for extra flavor and color.
10. Serve and Enjoy:
– Serve your Campfire Chicken Curry hot, either in individual plates or bowls. It pairs wonderfully with steamed rice, naan bread, or pita.
- You can pre-cut and marinate the chicken at home to save time and minimize handling raw meat at the campsite.
- If you have limited space for storing fresh ingredients, consider using dried spices and herbs for seasoning.
- Adjust the spice level to your liking by increasing or decreasing the amount of curry powder.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute the chicken with your favorite vegetables or tofu.
Now that you’ve mastered the art of making Campfire Chicken Curry, you can savor the rich flavors of this dish while reveling in the beauty of the outdoors during your caravanning adventures. It’s a satisfying meal that’s sure to become a cherished part of your camping repertoire. Happy cooking and happy caravanning!